Tuesday 8 November 2016

Broad on (his own) sexuality

From p.36 of his  (1959) "Autobiography", in Paul A. Schilpp (ed.) The Philosophy of C. D. Broad, (New York: Tudor Publishing Company) pp. 3-68.
"I am deeply indebted to the undergraduate friend who in my first year at Cambridge lent me Havelock Ellis's Studies in the Psychology of Sex. Young men are apt to think themselves uniquely abnormal, and either to worry or to give themselves airs about this. After reading that admirable work, I realised that, however queer I might be, I was not nearly so queer as a number of persons who had escaped the lunatic asylum and the jail, had lived respected if not wholly respectable lives, and had died in the odor of comparative sanctity. Henceforth I had no trouble in principle with that side of my nature, though, like most of us, I have had plenty of worries and upsets on particular occasions in regard to particular individuals. I suppose that the Kinsey reports have the same salutary effect on contemporary youth as Ellis's book had on me. If so, more power to their elbow. The difference is that Havelock Ellis was very nearly a genius, whilst the compilers of those reports are American sociologists."