Monday 31 October 2016

Broad on the afterlife

From p.57 of "Autobiography" (1959) in The Philosophy of C. D. Broad, ed. Paul A. Schilpp (New York: Tudor Publishing Company):
"So far as I can tell, I have no desire to survive the death of my present body, and I should be considerably relieved if I could feel much surer than I do that no kind of survival is possible. The only empirical basis on which I can appraise life after death, if such there be, is what I know of life here and what mediums tell us of life hereafter. On neither basis of valuation does the prospect of survival hold any charms for me. Having had the luck, it seems to me, to draw an eel from a sack full of adders, I do not wish to risk putting my hand into the sack again. And the prospect of an unending 'pleasant Sunday afternoon' in a nonconformist chapel on the astral plane would not attract me, even if I could find it credible"