Wednesday 19 October 2016

Broad on Russell

From Critical notice of P. A. Schilpp, The philosophy of Bertrand Russell, Mind, vol. 56, no. 224 (October, 1947), pp. 355-364 (pdf here).
"Professor Laird, at the end of his essay, pays an eloquent tribute to the intellectual stimulus which he derived, as an undergraduate at Trinity, from Lord Russell, and the generosity with which Lord Russell gave his time to personal discussions with his pupils. I was an undergraduate at Trinity along with Laird, and I can most heartily confirm on my own behalf all that he says. There is no one philosopher to whom I owe so much as to Lord Russell, and I recall with delight and gratitude the many hours which I spent in his company, his invariable kindness and hospitality, and the wit and charm of his conversation. No man that I know has altered so little for the worse with increasing years. When I meet him and talk to him now, I can shut my eyes and think myself back in bis room in Nevile's Court in those days before 1914, ' the happiness of which it is difficult for those born later to imagine '."